Thursday, August 3, 2017

Kendra's Kindle


Kendra was such an avid reader that when the first kindle came along, she snapped it right up.  She loved that she could download and read a book immediately.  She read anything and everything, fiction and non fiction, biographies and autobiographies, research, etc.  You name it and she had probably read something on the subject.  She would be so thrilled that Ethan has the same love of reading and studying many of her same interests.  

So of course, as soon as a newer, bigger kindle came along, she snapped that one right up too. She kept trying to give me her old one, but I told her no.  I loved reading and holding real books and I couldn't see that I would ever love an electronic book.  We were traveling back and forth at that time to our condo in Mexico and she kept telling me how handy the kindle would be and that I wouldn't have to haul 10 or more books.  I could just throw the kindle in my purse with hundreds of books on it.  She literally had over 400 books on the old kindle that she was trying to give me.  I finally relented and said I would try it on our next trip.  She was right, I loved it.  The very first book she told me to read was The Glass Castle.  She said she absolutely loved it and I figured it must be good for her to recommend it out of over 400 books. So that was the first one I read on that kindle and I did love it.  

I have since got an IPad and now I read my books on there and I had forgotten I still had her old kindle.  Until I saw the commercial for the movie, The Glass Castle.  I actually teared up the first time I saw it because I remembered how much she loved it.   I went immediately and dug her kindle out and charged it back up.  I still have not read all the books on there and I probably won't!  My tastes in books are not quite as eclectic as hers, but I love looking at the things that interested her.  I was so sad when I thought about how excited she would be see the movie and to see Will and Grace coming back with more episodes.  But then I have to remind myself that she is not missing anything here on earth, she experiencing unimaginable things in Heaven, more joy, happiness and sights than she would ever see here. Her story definitely did not end the way that I would have thought it would or wanted it to, but God is the author of her story and I have to trust that it ended the was it was supposed to.  But that does not stop me from missing her and wishing she was still here a million times a day. 

I am glad though, that I have so many memories of her.  I dig them out all the time and remember the good and happy times that we had with her.  And I know that I will always see books, movies and other things that will remind me of her and wish she was still here to enjoy them.  But my greatest joy is that I know where she is and that some day I will get to see her again.  And I hope they have kindles in Heaven!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment