Thursday, July 13, 2017

A sign of Peace from Heaven

Spotting this dove in the orphanage while working

Dan has been noticing a dove or doves around our house since Kendra left this earth to go to her heavenly home.  After he pointed this out to me, we see them all the time.  It coos in the trees or sits on the roof or we just see it walking around.  He said he always felt that is was a sign from Kendra.  I knew from the Bible that doves stood for peace, but then I started reading about them. In Matthew 3:16 the Holy Spirit takes on the form of a dove and descends upon Jesus.  A dove is a symbol of peace and purity, which signifies the peace and purity the Holy Spirit brings. The Celts believe that the mourning cooing of a dove represents the peaceful passing of loved one. I love that, the peaceful passing of a loved one. That no matter what trauma she suffered the day she died, she was saved and passed peacefully right into Jesus's waiting arms. That gives us so much peace. 



So we went on this mission trip with our Roots Youth Group to Baja California, Mexico. We stayed and served at an orphanage called Door of Faith.  One of our service projects was to fill a big hole with dirt that was going to be a gazebo.  While shoveling dirt and rock we heard a dove. Dan and I both looked for it and spotted it on a light pole right above our heads.  We looked at each other and had the same thoughts, Kendra.  It stayed around pretty much the whole time we were there working and I so enjoyed listening to it.  Kendra had went on several mission trips and fulfilled those items on her bucket list herself.  But after returning home from rehab, one of the first things she said was that she was going to go on more mission trips, that she felt God was calling her to do that.  So my husband and I both said, this trip is for Kendra, the mission trip that she could not go on, but we could go in her place and follow God's calling for her.

I felt her presence the entire trip, as I am sure my husband did also.  I felt God had called us there also and I have a renewed spirit and a heart now for more missions, that I am sure came from Kendra.  I thought of her all through the trip, picturing her playing with children on a Indian reservation and handing out candy and all her worldly possessions to kids in Nicaragua.  I just know she has to know that we are doing this in her honor and I can only hope to have the same love and passion as she did.  So thank you Kendra for the signs of the doves.  We know where you are at, no question, but seeing signs of peace and love after your passing brings a quiet peace and joy to our hearts.  And I see now why you loved those trips so much and came home overflowing with love and compassion in your heart to do the Lord's work.  "It is more blessed to give than to receive", but thank you for that gift from Heaven.  Love and miss you and your compassionate heart so much.

Spotted these doves on our last day at the orphanage

No comments:

Post a Comment